Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day Thirty-three; Milford, Kansas

Man, I love my friends!

Recently, I have been asking all my friends with kids to do some projects that I can post on the ASM4P website wall to inspire others to follow. In just a couple weeks many of my fabulous mom-friends have rallied for the cause (Angela, Leslie, Shannon, Missy, Amy, Marci, Cate, Connie, Jane, Wendi, Alyssa!) and, together with their kids, they have raised nearly $1,000 for War Kids Relief. They have helped organize lemonade stands, greeting card design and sales, patriotic wagons, car washes, recycling projects, custom designed peace-sign magnet sales and more (check out www.warkidsrelief.org/march/share to see what their industrious and amazing kids have done!).

Today, my friend Erin Kennedy and her two daughters started their own mother/daughter ASM4P fundraising project by taking pledges as they walk from New Hampshire to Boston! For three days they will walk 58 miles in support of War Kids Relief. As she told me in a previous email, "My goal is to raise children who have good character. This is our statement of how we want the world to be, and how we want to BE in the world."

Below is Erin's blog entry from their first day. Talk about inspiration!

Greetings,

I wanted to give you a quick status report on our first day of walking.

We covered just over 17 miles today. Most of you know that I walk 2-3 miles every day with my dog. I was positive that Kathleen and Allison would be the ones to have trouble with this walk, but it was me with the problem.

Apparently, I have never been this old before. I had to lean on Kathleen for the last mile while she sang to me; and Allison helped me envision being relaxed on a beach to help me reach the stopping point. But we made it and had such a great day. We spent the day talking, laughing, and adding to the documentary the girls are creating with the digital camera. It was such a joy to spend quality time with them, and I couldn't have been more proud. The only complaining I heard all day was in my own head around 4pm. The girls were a joy to be with and so supportive about the whole thing.

We are all in bed early to get a good night's rest for tomorrow's walk. We are going to check out the oldest working farm in America tomorrow when we go through Ipswich. It was started in 1635, back when walking was more popular!

Thanks so much for your support.

Erin

I just want to say THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART to all you parents out there who are leading by example and showing your kids how they can make a difference in the world. You are an inspiration to all of us!!

Rock on, ladies!

Dina

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dina,
    Your post about missing your girls brought me to tears!!! I'm sure they miss you just as much as you miss them. This is a huge undertaking and I just know all of the hard work you, Gunnar, Kathy and Anne have put into this will work out. You know we will do what we can to help support you and this cause. B will be selling his cards today at his summer program. I will let you know the results as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dina, Anne told me how much you missed your kids. You're a brave soldier fighting this battle to get people aware of the issues of kids in war. Keep up the good work.

    PS In Washington Cty, where I live, they have cut funding to 4H - sad.

    ReplyDelete